Friday 6 July 2018

HOW TO NAIL YOUR FIRST IRONMAN 70.3 - AT THE AGE OF 50


Edinburgh IronMan 70.3 Competitor 954, the temporary tattoo lasts for 6 weeks. 


This Blog Post is dedicated to Steven McEwan, founder of Glenrothes Triathlon Club. Also wishing Steven and fiancée Suzi every happiness, approaching their wedding day at Balbirnie House on Saturday 19th October 2019.

After the success of last weekend's Triathlon event, lots of people have been asking me, ‘how the hell did you do that?’ So, here’s the explainer.



It’s 7.21am on a July Scottish Sunday morning, and I can already feel the heat of the morning sun on the back of my neck. I’m standing in a wetsuit, in Port Seton south of Edinburgh, looking 21kms across the sea to Kirkcaldy and the mighty Lomond Hills beyond. Over there across the sea, that’s home, the amazing Kingdom of Fife. I am later to find out that right now, there in that distance, my very lovely wife Gaynor is at home watching an iPhone screen, linked by satellite to the tracking device on my left ankle.



It has to be the left ankle. You get a penalty if it’s on the right.
It’s on the left so it doen’t get stuck later on, in your bike chain, there’s a reason for everything.

The organisers have played our national anthem, ‘Flower of Scotland’ over the PA system. Not many people were singing it, as Scotland is a somewhat conflicted place today.

The national anthem was followed by ACDC’s ‘Thunderstruck', and we were informed over the PA, that track is always a matter of routine prior to the start.

I thought I might have been nervous, but I’m not. Not in the slightest. I know why, it’s because I’ve worked my hardest with the capability I’ve got, I’ve had solid strategic advice from superb experienced coaches, and I’ve got every component planned, as far as is possible anyway. What will be, will surely be. I've also had the comfort, of some final words of gentle encouragement and advice, from former GTC club chairman Andy Milne, who is also taking part today. 

I am standing with 1,100 other people, many of them are amongst the fittest in the world. Nobody is allowed to help anybody else. Those are the rules.

Serenity. The mind tricks the body. Feel the pace of your breathing. Smile ever so slightly to yourself. The smile is linked to the serotonin happiness endorphin. Deep and rhythmic, slow yoga breathing.

We are about to begin. A 1.2mile swim, a 56 mile cycle, then a 13.1 mile half marathon run. Complete in 8 hours 30 mins, or do not complete. One second over that deadline, and you are classified as a DNF – Did Not Finish.
I would later work out that some 25% of those initially registered for today, will DNF.





Today, is my 50th birthday present to myself. 6 months ago, when I told my pals I was entering, one of them asked me if I was mad. LOL. In context, as the entry fee alone was £250.00, I’m at least going to make sure I cross the start line!

I’m standing on the pre-swim foreshore thinking about the fitness journey I’ve been on over the last 4 years. It’s a realisation actually, that starting back then from the age of 46, you don’t need to be young, to start. And you don’t need to be fit, to start. Just do it. Start!

Fancy a go? I’d highly recommend you join a Tri club. If you are in our local area, it’s The Glenrothes Triathlon Club, annual membership £20.00 - You don’t need to do all 3 activities. There are members of all abilities and ages. Completely inclusive, very friendly, a volunteer coach network, and a lot of fun. Glenrothes Triathlon Club - on Facebook

I’ve come to realise as well, it isn’t just what you learn from training and being coached, it’s what you pick up from the experiences others have had. Wee tips and suggestions, can make a mighty eventual difference.



I’m also acknowledging this morning, that later on I am going to face ‘issues’ running the half marathon, as I have not been able to do any running training at all for 2 months, due to a knee injury. Ah well, man it up is all, I guess. 

Run, walk, or crawl. The rules are clear.




And frankly, I couldn’t register and then not participate. Because apart from anything else, I’ve somehow managed to convince IronMan organisers, that Scottish participants should have the option of taking part, with a Scotland flag on their competitor bib. Every other nation already had that capability. So, today is also a first for Scotland. (See link below on article footer)


Each stage today, is also on the clock. If you don’t finish the swim in 1hr 10mins, you are barred from continuing. And so on. And so on.

We’re on the move. I walk over the timing strip, take a few steady steps into the sea, then a few quicker steps. And then I’m in, and we are game on, front crawl. The swim goggles have been put on under the swim hat, so that they won’t get kicked off. I read about that. The start, is what Triathletes refer to as ‘the washing machine’. But actually, it’s fine. Here's the gist of it.



Cold water on the face. I hope there are no jelly fish. Immediately pace the breathing. Take each arm movement with each entire side of the upper body. In recent months I’ve developed upper arm muscles I never even knew I had. Do you front crawl with your fingers tight together? Me, I’m open fingers.

Your head weighs 8 kilos. Best keep it as low in the water as you can, so your body forms a horizontal line in the water. Breathe out with one eye still in the water, waves permitting. Heading into every fifth forward stroke with the right arm, very quickly lift the head during the arm forward movement, and sight the target, the orange bhuoy in the distance. Coach Joe Fowkes recommended that. He said if I didn’t do that, I could end up going around in circles, and then he laughed. Bet your last buck I was paying attention, coach Joe is a full IronMan! 

***

Fast forward 7hrs 57mins later, 33 minutes to spare, I’m ‘running’ on the final stretch leading to the red carpet finish line, fellow members of Glenrothes Triathlon Club are in the audience on the other side of the metal barriers, which separate participants from crowd. I high five them all on the way past. Their support on each of the 3 running circuits, and the support of club marshalls elsewhere, literally means the world. Never ever understimate that, from a participant perspective.

It’s hot, 25 degrees, and oh boy, I’m thankful for the breeze.

100 metres to go, and I see my Mum and 3 generations of my family in the crowd. Keep it together lad. Wish my late father had been here.

Very nearly stumbled and fell on the slight incline on the red carpet, despite having noted it on the recce two days before. 


And we are across the line. 7hrs 59mins 3 seconds




My youngest daughter’s boyfriend is first to meet me. He looks on in astonishment as I take the ice cold bottle of water which I’ve just been handed by a marshall, and very slowly empty it onto my head.

My wife kisses me. Sweat, dirt and grime of course ignored!

What a day. Memories are Made of This.


Fitness Timeline

Age 18 – age 46, played some golf.

Age 46, was encouraged by my wife and daughters, to take up a 1 month swim membership of Fife’s Michael Woods Sports centre. Included gym induction. On went old trainers, black socks, a T shirt, and a pair of swimming trunks. Managed 1k walking and jogging on a running machine, heartbeat over 180 per minute.
Within a month managed 5k on running machine.

Went to Arran on a weekend break. Decided ‘to run up a Glen!' Literally!
Managed 200 yards. Very different from a running machine. 
Never mind, came home, ran 100 yards, walked 100 yards. 
Repeat. Repeat. Build, and build, and build.

3 months later, completed Glenrothes 10k.
1 hour 9 mins.
A joyful day. One of the happiest days of my life.

1 month later, borrowed a road bike and entered the 2014 annual Balbirnie Duathlon. 
5k run, 20k bike, 2.5k run.
And absolutely loved the event. Finished in last place.
Tremendous support from marshalls on the night, fellow competitors, general collaboration, camaraderie, and community.
Much encouragement afterwards from club chairman Steven.



So I went and bought myself a road bike.

Age 47 – 49

Loads of easy pace running, hundreds and hundreds of annual kilometres.

Cycling built up, to 3,000km per year.
Lots of cycling events.
Completed Cyclotour du Léman, around Switzerland’s Lake Geneva: 111 miles, ride time 7hrs 8mins

Completed Edinburgh half marathon

2017 EtapeCaledonia, 81 miles in 4 hours 29mins, 59 secs!

3 years onwards, another go at the annual Balbirnie Duathlon. 


I took a full 20 minutes off my first time back in 2014. So, this time I wasn't last. Not that being last ever matters, especially with the support you get at such events. 

Summer 2017, on annual holiday, thought I’d give front crawl swimming a go. Had only ever been breast stroke before.
Same as running, started with 25 metres, took a rest, another 25 metres, repeat. 
Slowly build and build.

Age 50, joined Glenrothes Triathlon Club, started getting proper swim coaching. First session, coach Neil 'Nobby" Clark said, ‘your arms are front crawl, your legs are breast stroke!’ I’m still in some form of hybrid of that today, but there’s a reason for that. I’m swimming with a Total Immersion technique. T1 Freestyle.  Swimming, but not as you know it. Without doubt a huge energy saver, compared to normal 'kick like hell' techniques.  Originally developed in the 1970s, and seemingly long considered endurance sports’ best-kept secret. Today, I'm only in the beginning stages of working on it, and I certainly need to move from breathing one side, to bilateral. 

Preparations in 2018 for July IronMan.
-       65km lane swimming
-       10km open water swimming, St Andrews, Kinghorn Loch, Lochore Meadows
-       195km running, before stopped by knee injury in March
-       2,300km road bike cycling

Start each week with a good bike ride first thing on a Monday. The rest usually takes care of itself.

Thoughts on general Fitness and IronMan 70.3

This isn’t all about fitness. It’s about the combination of base level fitness, technique, commitment, mental determination, and strategic planning.

After you have registered for the event, that in itself creates the motivation to prepare.

Autumn last year I had to take 3 months off running, due to a torn Achilles tendon. That was caused by stupidity, running 10k’s on 3 consecutive days, wearing worn out trainers with a hole in the heel padding.

Getting back running again earlier this year felt brilliant, subsequent knee injury was caused by changing foot position during stride.
Morals of the stories?
-     Renew trainers when you should
-     Always take sufficient rest and recovery time
-     If you have a way of running that works for you, if you are heading over 50, maybe best stick with it! (personal opinion)

I’d also add
- Especially as you get older, there are many benefits to forgetting mostly during training, about fast running, and focus instead on slow running. Much kinder for the entire body, but still with so many fitness benefits. Watch your knees! I recommend Hoka One One trainers.





The IronMan 70.3 event itself

- Get a great nutrition plan. Eat power seeds. Take multivitamins and cod liver oil. Enjoy olive oil, my gran used to tell me it keeps the joints supple!

- Many DNF’s will be unhappy about their pre race nutrition plan. In the days leading to the event, you certainly want to load the carbs. Get fired into the pasta. Loads of salt. Loads of fluids. Quinine in the Tonic water works well. And don’t forget the gin!

- I once set off to conquer Etape Inverness, having only had two ginger snap biscuits for breakfast. I met The Man with The Hammer that morning, on the mountain above Fort Augustus. You learn as you go.
- So, porridge on race day morning!

Image below from the day before the race start. Orange bhuoys in distance. Plus, looking at rescue boat guys, and figuring angle into water, how many steps to take, before safe to dive forward.


- Before coming out the water and heading to the bike. To avoid dizziness. Give your legs a right good kick around in the water, to re-circulate the blood, before you stand up.

You can see I was dizzy!



- However you see the cycle, your objective is to finish the ride (a) with enough time to complete the half marathon (b) with enough energy for the half marathon.
My cycle mindset was to maintain a constant 60% effort, continual and smooth. The first hill I got to, there was a guy sitting at the side of the road, he shouted across, ‘Dude, your stroke is as smooth as anything, keep it going!’ Exactly!


 By all means, when training on a bike, vary how much effort, and introduce repeating sections of 70%, 80%, and 90% effort. 

If you haven’t cycled before, I point out that for example, Tour de France pro riders never ride a race at continuous maximum effort, they always ratchet their output to the task at hand.

For IronMan events drafting is not allowed. You cannot sit behind individual or group riders, enjoying the benefit of following those in front ‘punching a hole through the air’, so you don’t need to work so hard. Nope, against the rules.

- If you want to massively increase your cycle time, invest in a TT bike. First 300 or so IronMan lead participants were all on TT bikes, top 150 averaging above 33km per hour.

My trusty 5 year old bike: Felt Z5, serviced in week of the event, many thanks Andy Hain of Leslie Bike shop. Always have a good spin after the service, make sure everything is fine out on the road. 

Campagnolo Scirocco aero wheels added last year, makes it a wee bit quicker. 

You want to go faster on a bike? Eat better, pedal faster. After that, it gets to a point when you'll have to get your wallet out ... 


 A TT bike! Some of the pro bikes at IronMan 70.3 would have cost 15 - 20 grand. 




But many other competitors, same as myself, on an older bike worth a few hundred quid.

- Riding a normal road bike, on the IronMan ride I averaged 23.6km per hour. Same speed as Monday morning bike club! When pushing in training, from 60% to 75% effort, I can hit 26km per hour, but the energy use is significantly much more.

Ruby, my youngest daughter had worked it out. ‘Dad, if you give it that 15% extra effort on the bike, you’ll only be starting the half marathon run 15 minutes sooner, it’s not worth it. Save your energy, save your legs’.

-Buddy up with pals. Send each other photos of kit, so you don’t forget anything. Remember, IronMan don’t allow you to re-visit kit bags. If you rack your runnning bag without trainers, then you are running barefoot. Rules!


White bag for swim gear, blue for bike, red for run. Don't forget anything! 

- Running. Due to the heat of the weather on the day, Edinburgh ended up seeing loads of people mixing running and power-walking. So practice power walking! Different muscles, front of thighs. Worst case scenario you could theoretically power walk a half marathon in under 3 and a half hours. So on a 70.3, as long as you are running before the 5 hour mark, you should be able to blast it! Practice the timings. I found in training, I could power walk 1k in 8 mins. Everyone will differ.

Use imagination. A Saltire winter neck warmer on the heid might look a bit weird. But hey ho, it kept the sun off, and I could pour water on it at every drinks station ...



Best wishes one and all, and congratulations especially to fellow GTC members who took part in the Edinburgh IronMan 70.3,

Nicholas 

PS - And putting everything  into practice that I’ve just written, I’ve just gone and signed in for a full IronMan, double the above. Austria 7.7.2019
Just do it! And if I complete, I'm gonna get a real tattoo.



PSS - A final point. Get yourself signed up on Strava. If it’s not on Strava, it never happened! You can set your own desired pace, and monitor how you are doing. 



As mentioned above. Scotland’s flag on IronMan competitor bibs for the first time? 
To explain:
For the last 4 years my hobby subject has been #BlockchainDemocracy – as Editor in Chief of Twitter @YesDayScotland, Scotland's social media birthplace for direct digital democracy. 


Activity in and around voluntary YesDayScotland has delivered more than 50 Scotland and global pioneering firsts. In a sentence? Modern blockchain technology and cryptography security can absolutely revolutionise democracy, resolve global mass conflict, and deliver a brand new architectural underpinnings for a new Scotland. 
I’ve been trilogy features writer for Business for Scotland, links to those articles, etc etc on my latest article via BellaCaledonia.

Cheers all



No comments:

Post a Comment